Friday, November 11, 2005

Reminder: 2 shows worth seeing in Montreal

You got about one week left to see these two shows happening in Montreal.


Can't review them now, don't know if I ever will, but they're both
above average quality, what makes both of them not to be missed shows.
(well, they both could have been better, but they're both much better
than anything else around here, Montreal)


The first brings, luckily for me, a bunch of artists from which I adored their
recent outputs: Eve K. Tremblay, Patrice Duhamel, Michael A. Robinson and one of my fave artist from Quebec, David Altmejd.


Each of these artists are doing "more of the same" work from what they did
recently, but none disappoints. I have no idea (yet, haven't read the catalog),
how the curator links these works to Lewis Carroll, or if any work was made
on purpose about Carroll. They don't look like it. But all the works function
as such narrative abstractions. Bizarre art engulfing hidden meanings.


K. Tremblay is still intriguing with her transgressively symbolic associations
of pictures (something about genetic).

Robinson is pursuing his white-washed theatrics like he's out from
the asylum (no offense, it's great), this time focussing his obsession on music
and specifically, an organ (with a mechanical bird present, I wondered if it was an homage or anti-homage to Messiaen).

Duhamel is presenting another video of his abstract encounters between
body, movement, and micro-environments: this time two men enclosed
in a revolving door, if you can measure the power of that image.

Altmejd is still working on his magical entanglements between beast
and beauty, the worlds of unspeakable horror reaching the worlds
of post-minimalism fashion design sets. Basically, a werewolf
changing into mirrors and crystals. These new crystals are huge
and delicately made with mirrors, so my impression was that the werefolf
is slowly getting into the ground.


At any rates, all strong art, if you're able to visit.
(I just wish the show had more artists, it is going some place
I like).




The next one if the double-entente show
between Richard Greaves and Samuel Roy-Bois.


Samuel Roy-Blois is a young artist I had never heard from.

He is presenting a work that opposes the notions of
domestic space and consumption.

Literally, a space supported by perused objects
from everyday life, either found in scrapyard or
second-hand shops. And you, what it is that you are
"living on" ?

Well-thought.



But the clue of the show is the improbable retrospective of
Richard Greaves, a known artist of "undisciplined" art in
Quebec, who frankly, if you asked me 10 years ago, I could
have never thought would happen.

This guy's art is amongst the most difficult of
the few people in Quebec who made their names
out of just doing strange things, outside of the usual
art circles.

He's been doing these "homes" with objects taken from scrapyards,
that he tightens with ropes instead of nails. The exhibit
is first a pretext to present these pieces of "land art"
(actually, more like "anarchitectures", like mentions the title of the show)
in a nice set of hanged pictures by Mario Del Curo, added with
a couple extra documentaries really worth your time if you can
manage to hear someone talk about piss and shit so many times
(actually, that is in french, I don't thinkthey have subtitles).


The next part of the show is an installation by Richard
Greaves that lookslike a meeting between Mike Kelley
and Jason Rhoades, but actually smaller than expected
as the curator orginally wished that a house be built
in the Quartier Ephemere space (so that would be
the reason why the show is not as good as it could have
been).


Nonetheless, and if you can also spot the sculpture on the roof,
this project is a knocking addition in this serie of retros
of undisciplined artists that Quartier have been programming
in recent years. I'd really love to hear the ever self-important
Renzo Piano comment about it.


I don't think I've seen a more powerful comment on the subject
(of architecture) since Cedric Price !! That is a lot to say !


This project is going to Andrew Edlin in New York,
the small gallery who repesents Henry Darger amongst other
fames. New Yorker can catch it there soonly.





I suggested a name for the next retro of a Quebec undisciplined
artist, and was told to simply present the project myself.
I'll give thoughts about it.


Cheers,

Cedric Caspesyan
centiment@hotmail.com


PS: I'm having to push back my reply to Mayer and my Mois De Photo
report. I got to run to New York. Already missing stuff as I speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home