Monday, March 06, 2006

Exhibits Not To Miss In 2006 (America)

This first half of 2006 will
mean sort of a tabula rasa for me,
as for various reasons (including the
need of time to consecrate myself
to some art projects), I will not
be able to see as much art shows as usual.


So I decided to start a list of shows
that I really do not want to miss,
so that at least I'm able to visit the
ones that I consider essentials.

Maybe that list could serve other onlookers,
so I decided to paste it here.

The list will probably change over time.




The old classic painters (or sculptors:




- Edvard Munch at Moma (New York), until May 8

- Cezanne at National Gallery (Washington) until May 7

- Dada at National Gallery (Washington) until May 14 but it comes to Moma this summer.

- Degas To Picasso (Boston MFA), until Summer.

- David Smith at Guggenheim (New York), until May 14



The contemporary arts:


- Andrea Zittel Retrospective (either at the New Museum in new York until May 27,
or the future gig at the Vancouver Art Gallery, since I will be visiting people there next Summer)

- Robert Rauschenberg retrospective at Metropolitan, until April 2 (luckily the Met is a bit boring until this Autumn).

- Without Boundaries (Islamist contemporary arts) at Moma (New York), until May 22.

- Sugimoto at Hirschorn (Washington) until May 14

- Anselm Kiefer at the Mac (Montreal), until late May.

- William Wegman at Brooklyn Museum (New York), until May 28.

- Contemporary African Photography at ICP (New York), until May 28

- Mayyyybe the Whitney Biennial, but not if everyone says it sucks.



This list is not finished, and will include some gallery
shows as they come up, but frankly, since January,
everything seems boring, except this new trend of
neo-asian or neo-middle-east painting (the only stuff
that shakes your eyes as you flip the recent international
art magazines gallery ads.)



They are only 3 shows from all what I read about recently
that I regret missing these last 2 months: Ghada Amer
(hopefully a museum will re-present those textiles
works at some point), Thomas Hirschorn (an artist whose scrap-book
aesthetic I actually despise, but who seemed to have been the
talk of town last month so I'd have seen it just for the sake of seeing it),
and Angelo Filomeno (actually ending next week, another textile
artist, representative of the "asian touch" I was referring to).


Ok...add to this an exhibit of over 40 canadian artists
in New York but that was probably all unconsiderable works
(ohhh, that's bitchy).



Cheers,


Cedric Caspesyan
centiment@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home