Friday, October 06, 2006

Alive Not Yet Kicking

Well, I'm alive and out of the hospital.

I feel a lot of pain now, my operation lasted 9 hours
(just to make sure they cleansed everything, I guess, but mostly
because I am a biological anomalia with my vena cavea crossing in X
with my Aorta and double renal arteries.)

Am I done with all this? Time will tell, and future exams.
With all the anti-cancer food I'll be eating I bet I'll
be fine.



To follow my previous post I am actually "extremely lucky",
because I managed to attend for a short 40 minutes the Rodney Graham
concert at the Mac last night (Thursday night) and when I mentioned attending
the exhibition opening I really meant Thursday night as I thought it was the same night as the concert (they used to do their vernissages on Thursdays at the Mac).
I mean, there was no way from the start that I could have made it for Wednesday. I was told by my doctors that if things went very very well I'd be out by Thursday night hence how I calculated this.


The Rodney Graham gig was so much more middle road canadiana rock
than I'd expected. Some very fine lyrics and a classic outlook, but I think
I prefer his older post-new-wave-folk of which he played nearly no tracks.
He did play the "Don't Trust Anyone Over 30" song from his recent puppet project with Tony Oursler. A strong moment within a mitigate evening. I felt like the concert was up for the art crowd to judge how Rodney really is also a musician, but I think the second show Saturday in the context of Pop Montreal will suit Mr. Graham better (I don't think I'll be able to make it, unfortunately).

In concert Graham appears as moderate and unpretentious as opposed to what his art may seem at times. Though actually he must be the same in his art whereabouts since he always have been very translucid in explaining his work contrarely to a lot of artists.

I like the guy for sure. If I hadn't been so sick I could have as well asked him for an autograph just so that he knows he's also subject to groupies.


--------------------------------



By the way I have received a fantastic art piece (mixte-media) simply titled "Cedric" (2006) as a gift during my stay at the hospital. The work is by Beatriz Valdebenito, the mother of a long friend of mine. It looks as if Guy Blackburn or Irene F. Whittome decided to go for total abstraction. It is also ethereal and minimalist, definitely emanating an hospitalish feel, including soft white bandage, and subtle figments of what seems like copper at the bottom of a 4-walled compartment in the centre. The artist won't tell me exactly the signification of everything, at least not for now. Don't know yet if I can show a picture of this, but you can be sure it will get a place of honor on the walls of my home.


The piece, though drastically personal, is in a similar vein
as this one,
which is currently showing in a group show at Maison De La Culture Notre-Dame-De-Grace in Montreal until October 15.


Here is the website for the show, that I will also attempt to visit next week, in the event that I feel better.



Hope all is well with you all,
I will still be participating in
a couple blog discussions around
as I recuperate.


Cedric Caspesyan
centiment@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home