Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Stuff Not Seen: The Grey Alley Cat

This is bizarre night for me again as I am standing here
waiting for a dying cat to make its call.


I'll explain later, i'm here to change my mind.



I was just tumbling on my September art schedule and it got
me depressed for a moment.


Back in early September, I had no idea I was going to have
to cancel my trips for an operation. In fact, had I known, I would
have prolonged a quick stay in New York so that I could have catched glimpses
of the opening season.

In retrospect, here is the list of what I most deeply regret missing:


New York:

- Annette Messager's new installation at Marian Goodman

- Jessica Stockholder's new art at Mitchell-Innes And Nash.

- Joseph Kosuth at Sean Kelly (because it sounded like a little retrospective)

- Anish Kapoor's installation at Rockerfeller, one of my fave artist, but I doubt I'll be able to be in NYC before the end of this (Oct 27)

- Zaha Hadid: yep, I am missing the retro at Guggenheim. I'm angry if the Montreal CCA can't invite her.

- Damien Hirst drawing retro: very unlucky with Hirst as it's been two shows from him at Gagosian that I've been missing these past two years. He's not my fave artist
I must admit.

- Strange Powers: collectiv exhibit in a haunted apartment. Damn.

- Everybody Dance Now: seemed like a silly exhibit on dance videos.

- Jim Campbell exhibit.


Elsewhere:

- BGL new installation in Quebec, arrrggh.

- Rousseau retrospective in Washington, ARRRGGHHH !!!! Ok, this one I am gonna have to buy the book.

- Champ Libre in Montreal (the first one I missed).

- Early Japan Art exhibit at Pointes-A-Callieres, not so much something that I can't stand to have missed but more that I just feel very guilty to have procastinated so much about visiting it when it was on play during so many months prior its ending.



Since I was out the hospital, I had seen two art shows thanks to my mother helping me out, but today I was able to visit two other shows by my whole self, not counting the fact that I also went to see the band Mojave 3 yesterday, so I guess things are getting back to normal now. Basically, I am just here hoping this October 16, 2006, could be the first day of my life regained for the longest time possible.



Tonight, alas, I am missing the opening performance at the Festival Du Nouveau Cinema, something private that I had to get myself invited to (I hate these fla-fla
vip events, I really just wanted to see the art, and I'm still amazed that this was
reserved for the "special crowd"), but unfortunately, there is some stray alley cat around here that has been hit by a car and I've been looking for it all night.
He's hiding somewhere. This poor cat used to come to my door each night as I was providing food, but try as may there was no way I succeeded domesticating it or have it come anywhere near me. As of now I already take care of one stray cat, that was intelligent enough to let himself approached and invited in my home. I named him Rex because he is quite vigilant with other cats, a true warrior, a cat that was destined to survive. I am forced to let him out each night as he is used to life on the street, yet I am still worried that he will end up being hit on the streets. It's kind of horrific to just be here while a cat might be suffering outside but the neighbors and I have searched everywhere. The lady who hitted him said the hit was quite harsh, and in fact she was hoping to be able to let the SPCA finish him. In the eventuality that I find him with a broken leg, I will have it repaired. I will look again tomorrow.


Errr. what am I saying, not tomorrow, I'm going out right now again to try to find this cat.

So there you go, from tomorrow and on I should be at the Montreal Festival Du Nouveau Cinema, reporting here on what I see.


ADDENDUM: ok, the grey alley cat is fine. It is the neighbor's cat that got hit by a car but apart from a scratchy leg that cat is fine, is being taken well care of, and will more than totally survive. I need to build a little niche for the stray car as I already take care of one and these two couldn't possibly get along. At any rates with cats like these they can be hit at any times but they are used to being wild so I let them be what they want.


Cheers,

Cedric Caspesyan
centiment@hotmail.com


PS: remember me to pay homage to Giacometti some day.

PS2: Oh, the exhibits that I saw today were at Oboro and dazibao.
Maybe I'll write a few notes about them tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home